Virtual Club Meeting Training
How to obtain an attendance report from GoToMeeting
How to save a chat log from GoToMeeting – Be certain to save before you close GoToMeeting; otherwise, the chat log is gone forever.
- Have the primary light in your house shining onto your face (sunlight from a window or lamp) and not behind you. If the light is in the background your camera will struggle to display your face. Think about where is the best lighting location at the specific time your group meets and test the spot out.
- Select the quietest place in your house (avoid turning your dishwasher or washer/dryer on right before group time)
- Add your Toastmasters education designation to your name. Also put meeting role in a bracket. e.g. Mark Lucas, DTM [Timer]
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Toastmasters International World Headquarters has suspended all in-person District Events until at least June 1, 2020. We are aware of the impact the coronavirus (COVID-19) is having on members and clubs in our District. We are in regular communication with Toastmasters International. We are closely monitoring the situation and taking the necessary steps to support our members.
Please revisit this page often. We will update it as new information becomes available.
Guidance from Toastmasters International
Due to safety and government restrictions, Toastmasters International understands that clubs in Districts 100 may not be able to meet in person. Therefore, they have made the following exceptions for our District:
- Clubs may hold meetings online if in-person meetings are not possible or preferable.
- Area Speech contests may be conducted online
Tips and Resources
- Stay at home from community events if you:
- Feel sick or have symptoms (fever, cough, sore throat, etc.)
- Recently had contact with an individual known or suspected to have COVID-19
- Or if you are at a higher risk (elderly or immunocompromised)
- Traveled to China, Hong Kong, South Korea, Italy, Iran or other high-risk areas in the past 14 days. Check the CDC website for more details.
- If your club is holding meetings In-person
- Completely avoid shaking hands and other physical contact (use elbow bumps, or wave hands, etc.)
- Create physical space to minimize close contact (one arm length, sit every other seat)
- Provide hand washing capabilities or hand sanitizer or disinfectant wipes, and tissues
- Avoid touching your face or high touch surfaces with your bare hands (use a tissue)
- If you’re not able to access your meeting space, meet Online using available video conferencing applications such as:
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will area speech contests be canceled?
No, but Area and Division contests will be conducted online. Your Area Director will reach out to you with more information. You may also check our Contest Page for updates
- Will the deadline to earn educational awards in the legacy program be extended?
No. At this time, the deadline to submit educational awards in the legacy program remains June 30, 2020. If in-person club meetings are not possible, clubs can still meet online to provide members opportunities to present speeches and complete their educational achievements.
- What will be the format of the Online Meeting?
Online meetings shall have the same format with the regular meeting agenda. The only difference is the medium. Some best practices to follow would be:
- Un-mute only when speaking to reduce noise etc.
- Turn off all the webcams except the speaker and the timer’s webcam, so that the timing signals can be seen by the speaker.
- Table topic master can call out the member to respond, at which point the member can un-mute and speak. We understand that it’s a far diminished experience in comparison to the in-person club meetings. As soon as in-person meetings are possible, the clubs are expected to switch back to regular meetings at their venue.